Unpaid Utility Balances 

  • To avoid possible disconnection for unpaid Water/Utility bills please come to the Treasurer's office at City Hall, 1110 18th Avenue, Monroe, WI 53566 to set up a payment agreement during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 3:30 pm. 

Service Connection / Service Leaks 

  • If a problem occurs, it is important for homeowners to know when the problem will need to be fixed at their own expense and at what point the City of Monroe is responsible for the repair costs. The individual homeowner owns water lines starting at the terrace and running into the home. The City of Monroe's responsibility begins at the shutoff valve in the city's terrace out to the connection at the water main in the street. If the Water Utility becomes aware of a leak on the customer's side a letter will be sent out notifying the homeowner that they have 14 days to contact a plumber to make repairs at homeowner expense. If the homeowner has not contacted the Utility within this time frame to notify them of the plans for repair, possible disconnection may occur. Within the home the customer owns all of the plumbing including the shutoff valve; only the meter and connection are owned by the Utility. 

Frozen Water Service 

  • If your water service is frozen outside of your home, the City will come and thaw out the line to restore water service. The Water Utility will replace water meters that are frozen at the customer's expense. If you experience a frozen line outside of your house and it's during normal business hours, please call the water utility office at (608) 329-2480. If it is after hours, please contact the operator on call by calling (608) 558-4947.

Water and Sewer Connection - Outside Monroe City limits 

  • If you live outside the City limits, you must annex (or agree to annex) your property to the City of Monroe to have sewer and water connection and service. Contact the Water Utility or Wastewater Treatment Plant if you wish to have connection to these city services.